I confess to the ultimate true crime guilty pleasure: the Yahoo Group Crime Challenge:
Are you interested in Lizzie Borden, the Lindbergh kidnapping and the Sam Sheppard case? Our members takes turns presenting challenges for the rest of the group to solve. Sometimes we work in teams. Come and join our scavenger hunts where we search for and share info about hundreds of crimes and deaths, both famous and obscure.
The ghoulish wits behind the Crime Challenge group have assembled a devil of a true crime quiz to mark the day.
If, in assembling your answers to this scavenger hunt, you come across three or more sites that you have already bookmarked, then you read way too much true crime, friend.
Welcome to the 2006 Halloween Scavenger Hunt!
Rules and Guidelines: Below you will find 25 questions, worth one point a piece, plus a Bonus worth up to ten points. Sources/links for your answers, when not specifically requested, are not required but appreciated. Remember, if you play, do not post your answers to the list! Please include all of your answers, in order, in one private E-mail to Chele and Rachael: Chele Gia0209 ~AT~aol.com Rachael rachael27 ~AT~ earthlink.net
DEADLINE -- Answers are due by Sunday, November 5 by noon, PST. Good luck! Have fun!
1. This German serial killer was reputedly the first interviewed in depth by a psychiatrist. What did he answer when asked if he had any regrets about his life and the vicious murders he committed. (Give the quote.)
2. Although not sorry about any of the thousands of crimes he takes credit for -- including having fed the body parts of six of his twenty-one murder victims to crocodiles -- this killer apparently did have at least one regret in life. Give the quote where he said what it was.
3. Find a picture of one of this California shutterbug's famous photos which he took of his terrified victims before he killed them.
4. Give the text of the partly type-written, partly hand-written letter this mass murderer left beside his wife's body before setting off on his infamous shooting rampage.
5. This Mexican-born actor survived the conversion from silent movies to "talkies" but did not survive the two house guests whom he invited in one evening in 1968. Find a picture of his Frank Lloyd Wright home in which he was tortured and found murdered on Halloween.
6. This serial killer was sent to Death Row himself for the murder of a Death Row inmate. His numerous attempts of poisoning the inmate failed but his constructed bomb didn't. Know who he is? Good! Find a picture of his vehicle and tell what the sign on the back of it said.
7. The dog made me do it, the dog made me do it!! So this serial killer claimed. Find a picture of the parking ticket which led to his identification and conviction.
8. Find a picture of the first missing person to appear on a milk carton.
9. One of the nights this sadistic serial killer duo chose to hunt their unfortunate prey was Halloween night of 1979. Find a picture of the inside of the vehicle that they used for their crimes.
10. One of the killers in the preceding question often signs his letters from CA's Death Row with the name of a tool. Find a picture of one of these tools.
11. The partner of the killer in the preceding question not only caused nightmares but apparently has had a few of his own. Find a drawing of one he sketched.
12. This list-making serial killer not only kept a cryptic list referring to his victims, he also keeps a list of the CDs he has in his California Death Row cell. (He's only allowed to have twelve at a time.) Find his list on which he designates what he's got and which ones he's willing to trade.
13. This serial killer has been accused of a lot of things but being a bad cook isn't one of them! In fact one of his/her former tenants claimed that "Every Dinner at ________'s was like Thanksgiving Dinner!" Wonder if s/he has a good pumpkin pie recipe! Find a picture of this killer's cookbook.
14. In July 1984 the patrons of a California fast food restaurant found they had chosen to eat at the same time a mass murderer had decided to make his last stand. Find a link to the denied March employment application which may have helped set him off.
15. One of three convicted for the May 5, 1993 rape/murder of three little boys, Jessie Misskelley gave a description of what happened that day during his post-conviction ride to prison to serve out his sentence. What did the Deputy report that Misskelley answered when he was asked how the three young victims were kept under control while being raped and not tied yet. (Give the quote.)
16. Drawings of three cannibalistic serial killers (one departed life in 1936 and the other two in 1994) grace the front of a "loving" greeting card. Find a picture of it.
17. The judge in this 1997 case must have thought the second degree murder conviction (with mandatory life sentence) was some sort of early Halloween joke or something for he reduced it to involuntary manslaughter, sentenced the defendant to time served (279 days) and released him (or her). Find a picture of the victim.
18. He confessed to murdering seven people, including five prostitutes the police did not previously suspect him of killing. Want to hear and see his confession? All you need to do is purchase the DVD from his DAD!! Give his link and the bank routing number where we can send our bank wires.
19. After 30 years of silence, this now-convicted serial killer suddenly resurfaced in 2004. Find a picture of the driver's license he mailed to a local newspaper.
20. Give the text of the wacky poem the killer in the above question wrote to or about one of his victims.
21. Find a facsimile of the signature or "logo" that the killer in the above two questions designed for himself.
22. As though out of a horror flick, on Halloween night in 2004, two young woman were slashed to death in California as a third roommate listened downstairs in terror and tried to summon help. Find a picture of a package of cigarettes, the brand which brought a confession in this case.
23. The longest-incarcerated inmate in the State Pen of this western state died earlier this year, presumably of natural causes. Find a picture of the cover of the book Anne Rule wrote about him.
24. This mystery rider exited singing when he was recently executed in Florida. Give the text of his death warrant.
25. Find a picture representing the last meal of an executed prisoner who hoped that the choice would mean that a tree would grow from his body.
BONUS Let's have a Halloween party! You are the host/hostess. Your guests are all the killers you want to invite, although no blood will be spilt at this party. The more guests on your list, the more points you will get, with guest lists compared and ten points given to the host with the biggest party. Easy! Oh, there's just one little rule. Your guests must come in costume. To get your guests counted, please show a picture of each one and include his or her name and what ! ;s/he is dressed as. For instance, we suppose this killer will be invited to everyone's party so you may want to start your list thusly: Guest #1: John Wayne Gacy, dressed as Pogo the Clown
HINT FOR BONUS: Assume your guests will not know anyone else at the party, so they could even wear their work clothes and might be in costume for all anyone else knows. For instance, say one of your guests is a train conductor. Just find a picture of him or her in conductor's uniform and add him to your guest list!